Book Excerpt : Sin and Cider



Excerpt

Sin and Cider, Copyright © 2017 by K. Reese

Shaking the lust from my mind, I decide to turn my focus to the inside of the barn now that I’ve finished the thankless task of clearing out weeds. I had pulled out some of the rubbish inside already but still have a lot of work to do. I pull one of the doors to the side, the gentle creaking sound washing over me in a wave of nostalgia. I make my way inside and step over dried leaves and debris, each step kicking up a layer of dust. I look ahead and broken slats of wood are on the ground; those must be part of the original roof that was destroyed. I survey the space and take in the old tanks where we used to make cider and the empty jugs, some whole and some broken, lining the walls on shelves covered in cobwebs. When I was a kid this barn was spotless and welcoming, the perfect place to make cider and welcome visitors. Now it looks like an old photograph and not the treasured memory it really is. I take a deep breath and the smells of dust and mold fill my nose instead of crisp apples and warm spices. It’s in this moment I make a promise to myself: I’m going to restore this barn to its former glory.


I pick my way across the worn and dirty hardwood and undo the latch on one of the windows. As soon as it swings open the sweet smell of flowers permeates the air and rays of sunshine filter in, the shafts of light instantly brightening up the room. I open the window on the other side and feel excited about the task at hand. This barn is a dirty penny and just needs to shine again.


Buy Links


Amazon UK: 

Amazon CA:

Amazon AU:


Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Paths of Glory

The Immortals of Meluha

Book Review: Death Unmasked