Book Review: The Girl Who Loved A Spy (Andy Karan #1)



























Buy from Amazon.in

Title: The Girl Who Loved A Spy (Andy Karan #1)
Author: Kulpreet Yadav
Genre: Fiction, Crime, Thriller, Mystery
Publisher: Rumour Book India
Pages: 175


Rating: 4.5/5

There are some books you wish wouldn't end. And for me they almost always fall in the mystery/suspense category. I can't get enough of the thrills they provide, I guess. Well, The Girl Who Loved A Spy by Kulpreet Yadav is one such book. Let's discuss it further after the summary.

Andy Karan (you'll get to know the story behind the strange name in the book) is a journalist working for the New Delhi Today magazine. He is asked by his attractive boss, Monica, to go to Tilakpur (a small village near Delhi) to enquire about a death that had occurred there. But when attempts at his life are made, both Monica and Andy become alert as they find themselves stuck in this murky business of murders and politics. Andy had been an army officer before being a journalist and has been secretly working for them ever since. But even his army training falls short for what happens subsequently. With little to hold on to, Andy braves the peril but is he successful? Especially when his every movement seems to be followed?

Now for my thoughts. What I loved about the story was how fast paced it was. The speed, the thrill, the chase and the suspense of it all just made this an awesome read! The plot was very intriguing which coerced me to finish the book in no time, something that doesn't happen too often, let me tell you. I couldn't wait to know the who and the why. As mentioned, the fast paced narrative gave room for no slack moment in the story. I also liked the way the author used his descriptive ways to explain little nuances in the story. Definitely liked his writing style. So, thumbs up for that!

What I thought could be a tad better were the technicalities of the plot. I found it not so convincing. For example, I thought the bad guys weren't tough enough. Although they did seem invincible in the beginning, towards the end, they just fizzled out. The title reminded me of a James Bond's movie. The story is mainly about Andy and not much about the 'girl' who loved a spy. :-) The background provided was adequate except for Andy's and Monica's relationship, I thought there could be more details added to it. Having made these points, did these make me want to stop reading? Absolutely not! To be frank, I couldn't put the book down. So there.

Last word. I think The Girl Who Loved A Spy is a great read, a perfect and thrilling accompaniment to the rains and a cup of chai. I thoroughly enjoyed it and definitely recommend it. Waiting to read the next book in the series.



Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Paths of Glory

The Immortals of Meluha

Book Review: The Boy From Pataliputra